Dalzell/Dalyell/Deal was accepted by CDSNA as a sept and allied family in July 2012.
Connected Names: Alidiel, Daleyhel, Daleyhelle, Daliel, Daliell, Dalsell, Dalyel, Dalyell, Dalyhel, Dalyhell, Dalyiel, Dalzel, Dalzell, Dalzelle, Dalziel, Dalziell, Dayzill, Deell, Deill, Diyell, Duill, Dyell
Black, in Surnames of Scotland [p. 199], claims the name is “of territorial origin from the old barony of Dlazielin Lanarkshire. The name is pronounced ‘Diyell’ or simply, ‘DL’.”
The close association this surname has with the surnames Breckinridge, Douglas, and Hamilton is documented in Septs: Breckinridge.
In Descriptions of the Sheriffdoms of Lanark and Renfrew, it states…
DALYELL. This is but a litle parish, lying upon the northeast side of the river of Clyde, betwixt the parishes of Bothwell towards the northwest, and the parish of Cambusnethen to the east and northeast, and the water of Calder to the north.1 The parish and baronie of Daiyell did anciently belong to the Dalyells of that ilke, untill the forfaulture of Sir Robert Dalyell in the tyme of King David Bruce, for abyding in England without the King's consent. And was then given to Robert the Great Stuart, who gave it with one of his daughters to Sir Sandilands; and by the marrying of his grand childe to the heir of Sir Robert Dalyell, it returned to the ancient proprietors, untill the decease of one of the young Lairds of Dalyell, having only two daughters,—the eldest was married to the heire male of the family, and the other to a sone of the Laird of West Nisbet, who and his successors, for distinguishing him from the Laird, was commonly called the Baron of Dalyell, and did possess the one half of the baronie, in right of that mariage, untill after the Laud of Dalyell was nobilitat and created Lord Dalyell, in anno , he purchased from the Baron of Dalyell his half of that baronie. But this sone being thereafter created Earle of Carnwath (of which more afterward), they sold the baronie of DaLzell to James Hamilton of Boggs, brother to Orbistoune, whose grandchild, James Hamilton, is now Laird of Dalyell; and the whole parish belongs in propertie to him, except two roums, Rivenscraig and Todholeburne.
The teinds of this parish did anciently belong to the common kirk of Glasgow; and after the Reformation was mortified to the colledge of Glasgow, who thereby became both titulars and patrons: bot the whole of the teinds are much within the value of a competent stipend.'Cuthbertus Simon vicarius de Dalliell, whose testament is dated Feb. 6. 1552-3, assigned certain lands and tenements to two chaplains to serve in the church of Glasgow—'• viz. vni vicario chori Glasguen. qui miniftrabit fecundum formam et tenorem funda'nis confeft. per quond. bone memorie Magrm. Rollandum Blakater, fub decanum Glafguen. apud altare Diui Nicholai in baffa ecclia. Glafguen." &c.
The house of Dalyell was ane old castle, with a barteslung; but James Hamilton, who purchased it, did, about the year 1648, build a great and substantial house close to it, which is much bettered by the present heritor. It stands upon a rising ground, some distance from Clyde, having good gardens and inclosers.
There was ane other dwelling in this parish, called Johnstoun, which belonged to Mr Thomas Dalyell and his successors; but hath lately been purchased by the Laird of Dalyell.
As can be seen, Dalzell is connected to Douglas through Sandilands. According to a Freepages web article regarding Sandilands - Calder House (Caldour Castle) - Lords Torphichen:
The name Sandilands is derived from the lands of Sandilands in the upper ward of Clydesdale, which together with the lands of Reidmyre were confirmed upon to James of Sandilands by William, Lord Douglas in 1348.
The barony of Calder and the lands of Bengowre (Bangour), Co. Edinburgh, were bestowed upon James of Sandilands (1st feudal baron) by William, Lord Douglas in free marriage with Eleanor de Bruce (William's sister). Because of this marriage the Douglas arms were quartered by the Lords of Calder, and the Sandilands subsequently became in law the heirs-general of the house of Douglas.
The actual house at Calder, once known as Caldour Castle, is the family seat of the Sandilands (subsequently Sandilands/Torphichen) family, and situated in Midcalder, Midlothian - not far from Torphichen preceptory. The original building dates from 1335 and much of the old castle is embodied in the present structure. As part of its fortifications certain walls are eight to nine feet thick. The castle naturally has an interesting history, having spanned so many centuries and remaining in the hands of one family for so long.
In Burke’s A Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain and Ireland (1862),
Robert De Dalyell, was knighted by King Robert II, but he afterwards lost his favour by remaining in England without his permission, and his barony of Dalyell was forfeited and bestowed on Sir James Sandilands, of Calder, who had m. Jane, the King's dau. He was one of the Earl of Orkney's sureties to Haquin, King of Norway, and went to that country in 1330, and cf. immediately on his return home; his son, Sir William De Dalyell, was sergeant of Lanark, be lost an eye at the battle of Ottcrburn in 13SS, and accompanied the Earl of Crawford to the famous tournament at London, in 1390, where he greatly distinguished himself both by his prowess and ready wit; he had two sons,
I. George, who m. the grandchild of Sir James Sandilands, and on his resignation obtained a charter of the Barony of Dalyell, to whom and his heirs, which failing to the heirs of his brother.
Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland: Their Origin, Meaning, and History. Edinburgh: Birlinn, 1946. Print p 199
Burke, Bernard. A Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain and Ireland. London: Harrison, 1862. Print.
Hamilton, William, John Dillon, and John Fullartoun. Descriptions of the Sheriffdoms of Lanark and Renfrew. Paisley: A. Gardner, 1878. Print.
Sandilands - Calder House (Caldour Castle) - Lords Torphichen. http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~torphichen/calder_sandilands.htm